On September 5, 2019, Illinois Public Health Institute staff, Miriam Zuk, PhD and Jess Lynch with support from Darlene Nolasco and Genny Turner, presented the “Landscape Analysis for Housing and Health Initiatives in Chicago/Cook County” at the Illinois Housing Council (IHC) Breakfast. The purpose of the landscape analysis was to identify existing and potential partnerships in Chicago and Suburban Cook County, challenges that prevent deeper collaborations, and opportunities for enhanced collaboration. Other presenters at the event were Megan Cunningham, Deputy Managing Commissioner, Chicago Department of Public Health; Andy Geer, VP and Chicago Market Leader, Enterprise Community Partners, and Amanda D. Osta, MD, representing ICAAP, Director, Pediatric Residency Program, UI Health.
Access the presentation slide deck here
Special thanks to the following for their formative input into designing the landscape analysis: Stephen Brown, UI Health; Allison Clements and Emma Heemskerk, IHC; Megan Cunningham, CDPH
Key Resources for More Information on Housing and Healthcare Partnerships
- Change Lab Solutions (2018). The Health & Housing Starter Kit: A guide for public health departments, housing authorities, and hospitals working at the intersection of health and housing.
- Enterprise Community Partners and Center for Outcomes Research and Education (2016). Health in Housing: Exploring the Intersection between Housing and Health Care.
- Hacke, R. and A. Gaskins (June 2019). Presentation: How to leverage community investment to achieve health equity. Center for Community Investment (CCI).
- Low Income Investment Fund (2017). Innovative Models in Health and Housing. The California Endowment and The Kresge Foundation.
- Reynolds, K. (August 2019). Affordable Housing Investment: a guide for nonprofit hospitals and health systems. Urban Institute.
- Taylor, L.A. (July 2018). Housing and health: An overview of the literature. Health Affairs Health Policy Brief.
- Hacke, R. and K. Deane (2017). Improving Community Health by Strengthening Community Investment: Roles for Hospitals and Health Systems. Center for Community Investment.
- Moore, A. (2018). Partnerships for Health Equity and Opportunity: A Healthcare Playbook for Community Developers. Building Healthy Places Network.
- Healthcare Anchor Network. (2019). Healthy and Affordable Housing.